Jeanette Winterson (via mishproductions)
Here’s the entire animated short made entirely by Boneface, and myself handling making his great drawings move (with help from the nice noises you hear throughout, obviously).
A few insights from my perspective that may interest other animators, or those that have asked me on Twitter and the like about the making of the thing;
- Yes, not a frame of animation was completed before new years 2013, meaning everything, was done in a four month window before the album release. During this time I also got married and went away for two weeks on honeymoon.
- There is no actual ‘3D’ aside from some pieces of paper blowing in the wind. All camera pulls, focal changes, pans etc. where made with scaling, blurring, and judged by eye alone. This was a conscious decision to speed up rendering times.
- They were competed in order, shot one of I Appear Missing to the final shot of My God is the Sun. Mainly for our own sanity but also because of the chronological release dates of the videos.
- Due to the pace of creation Boneface would send over the shots as he drew them, as large layered PSD files, which I would set anchor points and rig and so on within After Effects.
- The first couple of videos were made on my 2010 MacBook Pro. I Appear Missing alone took sixty-eight hours to render.
- The initial videos were cut to unfinalised audio tracks. I didn’t hear the vocals to I Appear Missing until a few weeks before the rest of the world.
- If you happen to have been sitting within view on a flight from Bangkok to London around the start of April, apologies you had to watch me animate bloody bar fights on my airplane fold-down table for the entire journey. I bet your kids loved it.
- The final two videos - If I Had a Tail, and My God is the Sun were created in two weeks.
- It takes an eon to upload a fourteen gigabyte 1080p file to Dropbox on my internet connection.
- The crazy telephone teaser prank that went online prior to these animations was a very last minute thing dreamt up by the awesome PR types behind this whole Queens campaign. They’re a bit genius. And yes, that was my (distorted) voice on the end of the phone.
Feel free to ask any more questions you may have. My brain is still a bit fried from all the all-nighters but I’ll attempt to answer any I can!
Enjoy the animation, and of course the album.
You are allowed to drink when you’re 16.
You are allowed in clubs when you’re 18.
You receive free education.
You receive economic support while studying.
You enjoy free hospitalization.
You’ll be correctly informed by objective news channels.
Going to shoot
We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
Charles Kingsley (via femmeinnest)